Our School Travel Plan, which aims to educate students about road safety and sustainable travel, has been developed in partnership with Transport for London, through their ‘Stars’ scheme. Currently we are accredited with ‘Gold’ status, but in July 2023 we are due to be reviewed. To maintain this standard, we are committed to organising 48 separate initiatives. Our Junior Travel Ambassadors meet regularly to plan, organise and evaluate events.
Here are just a few of the activities we have participated in this year:
• Bikeability – for Year 6 to teach basic safe cycling skills.
• Balance bike training for Year 1.
• Pedestrian training – basic road safety for Reception and Year 5.
• Be bright be seen day – to raise awareness of a pedestrians and cyclists visibility when travelling at dusk or at night.
• Walk to School Week- over 90% of children walked. scooted or cycled this year.
• Theatre productions – visits from Wizard Theatre Company, Abbie Ayre and The Riot Act.
Our Governing Body has recently adopted a cycling and scooting policy promoting safe travel to school for our students. The following links may be useful if you are interested in cycling.
• Do you need to brush up on your cycling skills or even learn to ride a bike? The borough provides FREE cycling lessons to over 16’s and adults living in the borough. For more information please visit https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/cycle
• Details of cycle routes around London and free maps can be found athttps://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx
Year 6 parents wishing to apply for an 11-15 Zip Oyster photocard can access the application form at https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/11-15-zip-oyster-photocard
TfL journey planner is a helpful tool that makes using the public transport system within London easy. Go tohttps://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey.